– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- Form is fleeting.
- How is change?
- What syncopates a visual or graphic form?
- Where does Time find its place in a static visual?
- How does a statement unfurl itself into a meaningful visual form and how does timing nest itself inside it?
- I am deeply moved by abstractions and the mechanisms that allow for it; I enjoy studying them. My larger quest is to feel my/a bearing in space or time.
- Research repeatedly brings me back to the disciplines of Mathematics and the Sciences. They have offered me images and insights into understanding and creating layers and levels that successfully tie‐up in and over themselves.
- I am an interdisciplinary artist by nature and it influences my approach and need to create work. I greatly enjoy seeing disciplines feed off of each other. This is truly where I find the meat – I draw deeply from them. Graphic Design, Illustration, Theatre & Performance, Cinema & Music are some of the key disciplines where I find alternative languages to help piece my work together.
- Process. Process. Process. | Detail. Detail. Detail.
- Some work tags: Quiet, silence, sound, monochrome, grids, transition, transformation, paper, light, form, life, flow, morph, draw, sketch, ink, stylus, collage, stipple, splatter, stitch, fold, cut, tear, paste, repetition, sequence, long forms, bind, type, letter, word, recursions, figures, grounds, transformations, change, tedium, element, shift, pulse, beat, photograph, print, movement, note, observe, read, hear, sky, earth, water, wind, matter, shadow, eye, open, close, sit, breath.
- Influences & inspirations in spirit: MC Escher, Kandinsky, Ersnt Haeckel, Edward Gorey, Basheer, Dr Seuss, C. Dakshinamoorthy, Deepak, Veenapani Chawla; Ginger, KC.
- Influences & inspirations in flesh: Adishakti Laboratory for Theatre Arts Research, Perch Performance Collective, David Lance Goines, Ashwini Bhat and her ceramic artist fraternity, Ki Ra, Jam, Akshay, and their mathematics community, Tarun Saldanha, Anushka Meenakshi, Iswar Srikumar, George Mathen, Nimmy Raphael, Vinay Kumar, Rajiv Krishnan, Svenja Plaas, Deepa Kamat, Anushka Ravishankar, Ponni Arasu, Sukhdev Rathod, Bhakti Phatak, Michael Heyman, the PC family (Pritham Charavarathy, Venkatesh Charavarthy, Samyuktha PC, Ms Yazhini Muthu PC) and their umbrella of thinkers, artists, friends and relatives, Sekari Amma; Bullet.
- Patrons of my arts practice: C.Dakshinamoorthy, DC, David Lance Goines, Guru Somasundaram, Shobha Vishwanath, S.Ravindran, Mark Jacob & Yoo Mi Lee, Suresh Jayaram, Arvind Rajagopal, John Harris, Aruna Ratnam, Adishakti Laboratory for Theatre Arts Research, Manushi, Leno, Radha Krishnamurthy, Venkatesh Chakravarthy, Pritham Chakravarthy and IFA.
Interviews | Talks | Early Work
- Of tales of mice and women, The Hindu
- Pretty Paper Things, The Playground Journal
- Befitting homage to a trail-blazer in theatre, The Hindu
- The Launch of Magic Bird, SPRMRKT
- Telling stories through pictures, The Hindu
- For some creepy crawly comfort, DNA
- Creature Comfort, Chai Kadai
- Squid Row, Time Out, Bengaluru
- Zany, groovy, genius? get the picture (book), Midday
- Kaka and the Mouse, Saffron Tree
- A graphic view from Delhi, Kazu Ahmed & Malavika PC, Himal South Asian
- A talk in Tamil for Women’s Day, Pulveli Ilakkiya Kootam, Pondicherry
- Early work: the pre – 2012 blog.